The thing I love about Pittsburgh is there’s always something to do. Perhaps it’s growing up in a small town that’s helped me appreciate all the things our “big little city” has to offer, but the fact I can get myself into just about anything at a moment’s notice is a pretty damn good thing.
In addition to recognition for contributions to medicine, as well as ranking as one of the United States’ top cities to live, Pittsburgh has become widely-renown for its craft beer scene. Not only are local breweries making themselves at home and tapping into great success from our city’s beer supporters, breweries from across the country are looking at Pittsburgh as the next big place to showcase their offerings.
This is all thanks to you, the craft beer enthusiast, who took that final sip of yellow, fizzy nonsense beer and decided you wanted more from your beer. An overwhelming voice rose to the black and gold skies of the Steel City and many, MANY establishments and purveyors of adult beverages heard your collective requests and started featuring more beer options for consumption.
Breaking Brews was born on the idea that more people needed to know what’s out there in regards to craft beer, as well as where they could find these delicious libations. The desire to educate and guide you to the places that make craft beer special continues to be a driving force behind the Breaking Brews mission, which is why I launched the “9 Extraordinary Craft Beer Destinations in Pittsburgh” series.
You are about to tap into Part III of what’s quickly becoming a tremendous list of craft beer pubs in the ‘Burgh. And check out Parts I and II after you learn about these nine (I’ll put the links below).
1) The Library | South Side Pittsburgh – Located on East Carson Street in Pittsburgh’s famous South Side, The Library is the perfect blend of craft beer awesomeness, tremendous food and relaxing atmosphere. With over 80 craft/micro brews available, you’ll undoubtedly find something to your liking. Combine the beer selection with an affordable gourmet dining menu and you’re sure to add another hot spot to your list of ‘must visit again’ Pittsburgh establishments.
2) Gateway Grill | Monroeville – Over 700 beer selections. 34 beers on tap highlighted by a plethora of craft options. Daily specials. 20 flat-screen TVs to soothe your sports jones. Regardless of what you crave most, there’s no question Gateway Grill will hit you right in the feels. Gateway does it right with a tremendous selection of craft brews on tap, paired perfectly with a tremendous selection of foods from burgers, wings, pizzas, steaks, and more. Gateway is definitely worth a trip through the Squirrel Hill Tunnels to check out!
3) The Headkeeper | Greensburg – Going even further east of Pittsburgh will land you in what I’m discovering is one of Greensburg’s premier craft beer hotspots. While owning the rights to best Tapas bar east of the Steel City, they also boast a tremendous craft beer lineup, housing over 600 choices with 10 rotating on tap. You can even mix and match six-packs to go. This, of course, is after you enjoy yourself in the relaxing ambiance with a delicious specialty brew and a Tapas selection that will no doubt make your visit worthwhile.
4) Hal’s Bar & Grill, Hal’s Bottle Shop | Babcock Blvd/Ross Township/North Hills – I recently moved to the North Hills and was happy to find new craft beer stomping grounds so quickly. Hal’s features a great layout, good beer choices, awesome wings, and, at the time of this article’s publication, they were mere days away from a new patio for outdoor summertime R&R. Located directly next door is Hal’s Bottle Shop, which features a huge variety of mix and match six-pack options, bombers, growler fills, and sampling events throughout the month. Whether dining/drinking in or grabbing beer on-the-go, Hal’s should be at the top of your priority list.
5) The Korner Pub | Mt. Lebanon – Providing tremendous beer options for Pittsburgh since the 1950’s, The Korner Pub is nestled in Mt. Lebanon on Bower Hill Road and spotlights over 100 craft beer offerings for you and me. 10 rotating taps lead the way with a great bottle selection to compliment your beer style of choice. All beers on tap are available for growler fills, and The Korner also features daily specials…just in case you needed another reason to stop by and tip back a pint or two.
6) The Urban Tap | South Side Pittsburgh – Rolling back down to East Carson Street should land you at one the newest, hippest craft beer establishments in the city, The Urban Tap. They proclaim themselves the ‘Saahside’s finest gastropub and drafthouse’ and it’s easy to see why. They have 40 rotating taps flowing with craft beer greatness and feature a solid selection of local brew choices. Not to mention delectable brunch, lunch, and dinner menus, and some pretty cool apparel as well. It’s safe to say The Urban Tap will continue to build on its shining reputation.
7) Dad’s Pub and Grub | Monroeville – Formerly known as D’z Six Packs and Hot Dogs in Monroeville, Dad’s is quickly making a name for itself with a tremendous lineup of craft beer options. During 2014’s Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week, Dad’s solidified itself as a big player, going all out with a Southern Tier Brewing tap takeover and featuring other solid craft beer options throughout the week. Great good, fun atmosphere, and of course, a commitment to providing exceptional craft beer options makes Dad’s the next place you need to hit up.
8) Industry Public House | Lawrenceville – Since 2012, Industry has been showcasing craft beer and American comfort food and doing a killer job at it. Industry sports an atmosphere tough to sum up in words, but one you’ll want to surround yourself in time and time again. A great cocktail menu is rivaled only by Industry’s 40 rotating beer taps, fully equipped with local, regional, and national craft beers of choice, as well as local Arsenal Ciders. You know you’re in need of a warm, comforting dish…do yourself a favor and pair it with a tremendous craft beer at Industry tonight.
9) Bites & Brews | Shadyside – Rounding out this stellar group of nine is Bites & Brews in Shadyside, a destination that fully understands the kick-assery and downright importance of craft beer and pizza together as one. They have 30 craft choices on tap and a wide selection in bottles as well, combined with delicious homemade pizza and some of the best sandwiches on the east end of the ‘Burgh. Stop in for daily happy hour specials and discover everything you’ve been looking for in a craft beer locale!