Welcome back! Pittsburgh is alive with fun, excitement, character, and tremendous craft beer establishments, is it not?! Since starting the “9 Extraordinary Craft Beer Destinations In Pittsburgh” series, we’ve seen many places open their doors and many more established locations work in a variety of craft options for our consumption. As an enthusiast of craft beer, what more could you ask for?
To date, this series has featured 27 great establishments located at all corners of the Steel City, all ready to satiate your need for hops, for malts, for sours, for barrel aged, for whatever the palate craves when it comes to craft beers! Through events, community involvement, and keeping their ear to the street and listening to what their patrons demand, the establishments mentioned in the previous “9” have continued to grow, evolve, and revolutionize the way we enjoy beer in our town.
Without further adieu, below is the next batch of 9 locations doing things right. As I’ve mentioned in these lists in days past, it’s hard to narrow it down to just nine great places…thus, this has become a series instead of a single blog post. If your favorite isn’t on the list or wasn’t mentioned in the previous posts (which I will supply links for below), I want to know about them! Tell me why their your favorite place to kick back and enjoy a unique craft beer!
1) The Modern Cafe | Pittsburgh’s North Shore – The Modern Cafe is located a hop, skip, and a jump from Heinz Field and is the perfect place to get Steelers Sunday started (not to mention all the other days of the week as well). Featuring a strong commitment to craft beer, daily specials, and some of the best sandwiches this side of the Allegheny, Modern Cafe has been doing things right since 1933. They do many craft sampling sessions for your favorite beers and are absolutely worth a visit today.
2) Rivertowne | North Shore, Monroeville, Verona, North Huntingdon – Staying close to all the excitement that goes down on the North Shore, Rivertowne is one of my favorite stops before and/or after Steelers, Pirates, and Pitt games, as well as concerts at Stage AE. Tremendous food fills the menu, as well as a solid list of Rivertowne Brewing offerings in addition to several local and regional craft options. Their dedication to delivering some of the best beer and delicious eats to the Steel City has helped them expand, now featuring four locations across Pittsburgh! No matter where you’re at, you’ll find yourself within earshot of Rivertowne, so make it a priority to stop by.
3) James Street Gastropub & Speakeasy | North Side – Exquisite ambiance. Craft beer. Jazz music. Memorable dining experience. Who doesn’t look for these elements when venturing out for a night on the town? Sometimes, places capture a couple at a time, but James Street Gastropub & Speakeasy has captured all four! Bringing the essence of the Prohibition-era speakeasy to modern day, James Street will give you a one-of-a-kind experience with each visit. Enjoy a refreshing craft brew while taking in musicians that represent a who’s who in Pittsburgh’s jazz scene!
4) Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery | The Waterfront – “Passionate about pints. Maniacal for malts. Rock Bottom always has been and always will be about the beer.” This line, taken directly from Rock Bottom’s story, is enough to make any craft beer geek perk up. When a brewery expresses unwavering dedication to their craft, then exemplifies it with every pint they pour, you know you’re in for a good experience. Located in the heart of Pittsburgh’s Waterfront shopping area, Rock Bottom is a must-stop whether you’re in for a movie, comedy show, shopping, or a night of games at Dave & Buster’s. They feature a variety of styles that will unquestionably hit you in the beer feels.
5) The Beermuda | New Kensington – Ah, the Bermuda Triangle. That place in the world where it all just disappears. Slip an extra ‘e’ in there, and you can take me away any time. The Beermuda is located in New Kensington and sports a beer menu as kick-ass and diverse as the day is long. This establishment is a craft beer drinker’s heaven and, without question, the type of place you wouldn’t mind getting lost in. We always talk about selection and variety when it comes to our beer. The Beermuda has captured that and then some with 49 taps and nearly 500 bottles and cans to choose from. Go now. And get lost.
6) The Yard | Shadyside – The Yard has burst onto the Pittsburgh scene and immediately made a name for itself. Located in the heart of Shadyside, they feature daily specials, happy hours, beyond solid food, whiskey, mixed drinks and wine menus, and 42 rotating craft beer taps. That pretty much says it all, right? But there’s more! Weekend Brunch, live music, a space large enough to accommodate your next event, and catering. Whew…that’s a lot…and pretty awesome. Get yourself down to The Yard and take it all in!
7) Kelly’s Bar & Lounge | East Liberty – In the heart of East Liberty, you’ll find Kelly’s offering great craft beer, whiskey shots, and mac-n-cheese. Not everything in the world goes together, but those three items certainly do! Kelly’s features a great atmosphere with a back patio for outdoor adult beverage consumption, live events including poetry readings, samplings with local breweries, and much more. The next time you find yourself on Penn Circle, be sure to pull over and check out what Kelly’s has to offer.
8) Duke’s Upper Deck Cafe | Homestead – “Eighth Avenue in Homestead might not be the first place you think of when it comes to outdoor dining, but Duke’s will quickly change your mind.” This quote from Pittsburgh Magazine holds an enormous amount of truth as Duke’s has what many have come to know as one of the best outdoor patios in the city! If you’re like me, kicking back outside with a solid craft beer is, as the kids say, where it’s at, and this establishment gives you the opportunity to do that while choosing from 48 rotating craft beer taps featuring a variety of local options. Watch all the games on the big screen, and play them as well as Duke’s has shuffleboard, cornhole, and more.
9) Sidelines Bar & Grill | Sewickley, Millvale – With two locations in Pittsburgh, Sidelines is a great place to have your craft beer while taking in your sporting event of choice. Both locations boast a world-renowned beer list and will pair your favorites with some of the best wings in the region. They feature a Brewery of the Month, have daily specials, and a mug club that helps you track how many distinct beers you’ve consumed at their establishments. It’s a come-to-life Untappd! The next time the Steelers, Pens, Pirates, or Panthers are scheduled to take the field/ice/court, pull up a stool at Sidelines and take it all in!