Email marketing: if social media went away (ha!) email marketing is one of the only ways you’d reach your customers. It’s also the only place where you can control the exposure to your content. An email will be waiting in someone’s inbox; you can’t say that about social media.
In this episode, we talk about the importance of email marketing, how to build a healthy list, and a few email content ideas so you’re not just blasting people with sales messages.
- Lead magnets: download or freebie in exchange
- What can you send to your readers? Something interesting, engaging, not just a sale!
- Plus, they’re sent so frequently, a lot of people are tuning out and becoming numb to the sales emails
- You must add value to your email list – tell subscribers what they can plan to receive from your emails and then do what you say you’ll do
- Follow the same format every week. Customers are accustomed to getting a consistent look, feel, and content
- Pick one topic – stick to one call to action (CTA) per email
- Services to use: Mailchimp, ConvertKit, Constant Contact, Aweber, Mad Mimi, iContact
- How to build your list
- Make the signup form visible on your website – catch readers in a few places
- Incentivize for signups: do a raffle or giveaway in exchange for an email address
- Cross promote on other networks and your blog or website
- Basically… tell people about it!
- Should support your entire marketing message to contribute to building a loyal following
- Don’t randomly subscribe people to your list – that is illegal!!
- Unsubscribes are okay! The less people, but the more interested people you have, the stronger your list is
Key Conversation Timemarks
16:37: How to get started
18:25: Building your list
26:00: What to send (that isn’t a sales pitch)
Resources and Businesses Referenced in this Episode
Brew Gentlemen – sign up for their email list! They’re a great example of consistency and branding
North Ave Candles – another great example to follow
10 Non-Promotional Emails to Send to your Mailing List by Angelica Ross
More from Jason
More from Angelica
Subscribe to Decent Exposure